Tuesday, May 15, 2012

toddler room

Now that Audrey is officially a toddler, it was time for a new room!

We decided to ditch the crib & transition her to a big girl toddler bed! I had still been rocking her to sleep up until she was about 16 months, which in my opinion was too long! I certainly enjoyed the time with her & a part of me wanted her to stay a baby forever but it was also hard as she was still attached to me "helping" her fall asleep & it also meant that daddy wasn't able to put her to sleep. So the time had come for her to put herself to sleep! I envisioned this transition to be a nightmare but to my surprise it was easy as pie! The first few nights were a little rough, Audrey would cry for 10-20 min & then just crash. The next few nights she'd cry for 5min, and the next 3min. So finally one night she cried for a few seconds & fell straight to sleep. I checked the monitor to make sure the sound was still on & it was, my baby had finally learned how to fall asleep by herself! We let her get used to that for a few weeks until we took down the crib & had her sleep on her mattress on the floor for a week. Then the toddler bed arrived & she's been doing pretty good ever since! Most nights she ends up sleeping on the floor, she still has to get used to the bed a little but no crying at all!

Since Audrey would have so much more space in her room without the crib & changing table I decided to redecorate her room that is more age appropriate! Matt liked this idea because it meant there would be more toys in her room & less in our living room. I wanted to redecorate with mostly things we already owned, since it would be a small budget. The only new things I ended up buying were her bed, a tent, some paper lanterns, a few frames, craft paper & a small shelf! These things added up to cost only $125! With a little creativity, spray paint & love I was able to change her entire room for under $200! I was pretty impressed. I still need to finish painting her bookshelf & make/hang curtains so that will cost about $25-30 dollars more. So with that said, here a few photos of what her room looks like now!

this awesome circus tent is from Ikea!
these are the paintings I did for her nursery
her big girl bed!
I made these hot air balloons out of paper lanterns. tutorial here 


I repainted an old frame & made flag pendants with card stock. The letters are stickers & hung with hemp twine.
This one is cool! I made the letters out of magazine clippings & the "wood" is scrapbook paper!!
I had most of these frames laying around the house. I spray painted a few that I bought for .99 cents at Goodwill. The embroidery hoops are also from Goodwill & I stretched an old knit dress that I haven't worn in 3yrs! The Disney pictures are from old books I also found at Goodwill for .79 cents!
This shelf was one of my purchases. I taped "cloud" scrapbook paper to the back & on top of the shelf is the postcard invitation Matt designed for Audrey's first birthday party!

I am so happy with how it turned out & I know that Audrey likes it based on her excitement when she saw it for the first time! I can't wait to add the curtains & bookshelf & it's complete! 

1 comment:

  1. I love all of your crafty things, Cydney! I might be borrowing them...

    ReplyDelete